Saturday, November 7, 2009

Managing it all!

I would love to know what genetic dysfunction causes women to push themselves to the edge of sanity on a regular basis! The need to be super mom, participating in their children's activities (baking the best peanut-free, egg-free, gluten-free treats they can bake, making the scariest halloween costume or prettiest angel costume they can find, attending every little activity at the school). The need to be super employee (staying late, working through valuable coffee breaks, working when we're sick, working on our days off). The need to be super spouse (or other....)

It's not possible. We all know it's not possible - but that rarely stops us from trying!

I have had to stop. I used to be accessible to Emma at all times - the joys of a home based business. But going back to school meant misssing 99% of her activities. The guilt has been tough to negotiate, but I have had to accept it. I make up for it regularly by ensuring our time together is spent "together" - not her watching TV and me on the computer.

I have had to realize that being a single mom, by definition, means that there is no way I can try to keep up a 95% at school. The extra time spent trying to achieve that (instead of a respectable 85%) would be better invested in extra practice, practicum or outreaches at school. Or, reinvested into Emma.

What I HAVE to put my time into is my health (ensuring I'm eating to lose and exercising regularly) and my daughter. As best as I can on both those things! This sometimes means I have to slack on other things, and that's OK! I can't paint at the school today. I won't likely be scrubbing the kitchen floors, or preparing anything difficult for the dinner I'm attending tonight. Shortcuts and easy way outs are totally OK sometimes - to ensure the important things are taken care of...

I have had to accept that the house won't be 100% all the time. The yard work and renos on the house have taken months instead of a couple of weekends. And that's ok. It's all ok. Ok is the new "perfect" in my house! When I have the time, energy and desire to outdo myself, I will. I mean, everyone likes to feel good about the stuff they do. But right now, I have to go do an OK job of winterizing the yard. Oh, after I get my walk in, that is....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jacki!! Very well said...something I will need to consider in my everyday life :)