Monday, April 7, 2008

Emotional Triggers?

I've always maintained that I don't have a lot of emotional triggers to eat. Boredom was really my only excuse - oh and the wicked PMS! But lately, I've noticed times where I used to eat out of anger, sadness and lethargy are being replaced by a desire to be active. I've been eating crazily the last 2 weeks (spurned by Easter, and extended by PMS) but there's been no emotional attachment to it. Purely choice and lack of control. But the way it made me feel allowed me to STOP! and choose an activity yesterday (going to the gym) to make me feel better, instead of using my emotionally blackmailing tool of rationalization. "Well, since I ate like a pig and feel gross, I might as well have this chocolate now while I'm at it" is really translating into: "I'm not worth the effort to pull myself out of this rut. Keep eating, since it's anesthetizing your feelings of self-revile."

Wow. Who wants to feel like THAT? I certainly don't, but it's not that easy to snap out of I see. So a little more reprogramming is necessary to keep me on the right path. But a big HOORAY for a little enlightenment!

No comments: