Monday, April 14, 2008

Wow. What a day.

More accurately, what a 24 hour period...

So here's how the past day unfolded: The household is starting to wind down on a Sunday evening. The kid is in bed, and you're preparing yourself a lovely snack (not core, however...) of toast, pb and bananas. When your daughter starts bellowing "Mom, I think I have lice!" Groaning at her lame attempts to cop a shower way past her bedtime... I decide to appease her chronic fobia for the evening by doing a quick check.

Unfortunately, this time the girl is totally right.

So after 6 hours of going through her hair, doing treatments on her and us, changing bed linens, vacuuming and all-around craziness... I finally was able to fall asleep at 3am. She allowed me to do a rough cut of her hair (just to lose some length to go quicker - it looks terrific, BTW!) My poor baby. Poor us.

This was after an already sleep deprived night (poker party!) and busy day of manicure class on Sunday. And I had to go to my class again today at 8:30, DD in tow. My instructor was amazing. Understanding and compassionate, and wonderful with Emma. But I am exhausted. Another 6 loads of bedding washed today, and we'll have to keep this up until we're confident there's no sign of them anywhere. What a daunting task! I'm terrified of reinfestation - more than anything at this point.

Then, out of nowhere (I was trying to have a good self-pity session) I thought of a local family (I went to school with the daddy) whose 11 year old son is fighting for his life. No amount of washing the sheets or combing his hair will fix his problems... So I will face this small hurdle with the attention it deserves - but with none of the woe-is-me syndrome.

And hopefully, we can beat this quickly - so we can focus on way more important things in the world!

Cheers all - give your babies an extra squeeze tonite!
J

No comments: