Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let's hear it for NSVs!

For those of you who aren't obsessed with weight loss sites... an NSV is a non-scale victory. A nice way to celebrate changes in your life that aren't always reflected on the scale. I had a good one yesterday.

At my choir practices, once a month, we have a social. People bring tasty delights to tempt and tease. Apparently, no one received my memo about being on Weight Watchers. And no one bothered to clear their treats with me prior to placing them in full view of this self-confirmed junk-aholic. What's a girl to do?

Historically, food spread out along a ledge has been dangerous. Lethal even. I would end up loading my plate, feeling guilty and likely sick to my stomach. Conversely, I would avoid it completely, feel deprived and sorry for myself. But here's what happened last night:

I looked over the options, spying some pineapple and strawberries. I noticed some swiss cheese, crackers and loads and loads of chocolatey concoctions. One particularily caught my attention... walnuts, white chocolate chips andvery meringue looking. So, I grabbed3 pieces of pineapple and 2 strawberries, and walked away. But that cookie was distracting me. I returned for a brief moment to grab a piece of swiss and the smallest of those lovely cookies I could find. Then, I perched myself as far away from the spread, and thouroughly enjoyed my little plate of deliciousness!

It worked. I felt great, I felt in control and I left not starving. And to be truthful, the cookie was no where near as yummy as I imagined it would be. The swiss cheese however? Divine!

No comments: