Thursday, August 7, 2008

Reprogramming

So I was thinking a lot about the idea of reprogramming. This morning, my daughter and I had a very lengthy and mostly loud conversation about eating habits and exercise. She has spent the majority of her holidays on the couch, asking when she could eat next. I don't keep yucky treats in the house, but she was obsessing about what her next snack would be. She's gained a few pounds over the holidays... while her self esteem has decreased, by worrying has done the opposite.

She did not like the conversation we had about healthy eating and exercise. She kept saying "You think I'm fat". Programmed. I told her I love her no matter what - but that I was concerned for her lack of energy, her health and her self-esteem. "You think I'm fat". Over and over.

But what I realized is that it has to become important to HER - otherwise she will internalize it as her thinking I think she's fat. I need her to see the effects - not just on the scale or in her clothes - in very tangible ways that she can understand. Anyone have any suggestions?

I made her a fairly healthy and light lunch today - I hope that she feels motivated to go outside for the afternoon. The TV's going off in a few minutes - so that will likely mean the world will end for one little girl.... :)

Here's my plan:

B1: Raisin bran, ff milk (4)
B2: grapes (1)
L1: bagel w/lt cream cheese, cucumbers (4)
L2: caesar salad (4)
D: Ok - for real this time - Hakuna Frittata (4)
SN: Baked nachos, with veggie ground & lt cheese. (3), 2 beer (3)
*In celebration of watching the Riders kick it out once again!!!!!

AP: gym, 30 mins

No comments: